Sunday, July 22, 2007

Session No. 33 Planet Hollywood 1/2NL (7/22)

1/2NL: TP = +510 TSP = 5 Hrs

Whoa...the Santi plays NL? Since when?

Haha, anyway, after the Bellagio I took a break with my friends Nick and Emily (the whole reason I went to Vegas in the first place was for Em's 21st Bday). We were staying at Planet Hollywood, so I decided to play in their poker room until I got ridiculously tired, then I could wander back up to my room and crash without much chance of falling asleep on Las Vegas Blvd somewhere...

So the session started out innocently enough, one drunk English ~kid (26 or so) pointed out to the table that I had yet to limp into a pot after an orbit of play, so I was afraid I'd get the nit label. Soon enough I got dealt T8 of diamonds and limped in behind some players from the Hijack. The drunk English guy limped behind me, and then the SB raised it up to $15 total. It was called in a couple spots, I called, and the English guy called. $75 total in the pot.

The flop came: J93 with one diamond. Hey, nice looking flop huh? If this was limit I'd probably jam it up, but since this was NL, I wasn't entirely sure what the best line would be. The SB bet out $20...oh yeah, I forgot stack sizes. I had $200 or so when I started the hand, and everyone else has me covered except for the guy about to fold acting in front of me. So Sb bet out, one caller, one fold, I call, and the english guy called. $155 in the pot.

The turn was the A:d:. Uh oh. OESD and now a flush draw? What the hell do I do now? The SB checked, the next player checked, I checked (wrong play?) and the english guy checked behind. I really felt like I should have bet my hand here...but oh well.

The river was the K:d:. Boom. I had the second highest flush possible (only a Q-rag suited diamonds would be higher). It gets checked to me, I bet $50 or $60, and everyone folded. Lame...couldn't get paid off. Still, nice pot.

After that I floated around $300 in chips for awhile, the table almost broke after the two drunk English guys left, but instead we combined tables with another 1/2 game and we were almost full again. The guy who decided to sit next to me was a young Middle-Eastern cat (obviously Americanized) and he proceeded to crush the table and add to his big stack. He was a donk...but a donk who could catch cards. He went from $600 to almost $1100 in about an hour. I wanted a hand for this guy to double me up with...because he was very capable of doing so.

An hour or so passed by and soon we found ourselves 6-handed at around 4am. I was running pretty well, as my stack was about $450 or so. I had flopped one straight and turned another, and the middle eastern dude was paying me off one red stack at a time. I was feeling good.

At about hour number four, I was dealt two Aces in the SB. The middle-eastern guy had just lost a pot, so he jokingly said "I'm steam-raising" and made it $12 to go from the button. I opted to just call, as the BB was a new player who had proved to be somewhat aggressive already. I thought perhaps he would try a squeeze play and re-raise (His stack was about $150). The middle-eastern guy would call because he was on life tilt (I failed to mention his stack had free-fallen to below $300 at this point), and then I would probably shove and might get a call from the aggressive asian kid because he too was nearing life tilt.

Instead, the asian kid just called and we saw a flop of QTT. Whoops, perhaps this is why don't just call pre-flop with Aces. We both checked to the middle-eastern guy (we'll call him Fred), and Fred bet $10. I called, as did the Asian kid (we'll call him Chuck). The turn was a 6. Again me and Chuck checked, and Fred fired out a $15 bet at this time. Ugh...I still don't know where I am, and what could Chuck be calling here with the whole time? We both know Fred is a shitty player, but he knows I'm a good player, so yeah...I called, Chuck called. Shitty plays I'm sure...don't give me shit, I'm a limit player lol...

Anyway, the river was an Ace. Boom. "Okay, enough fucking around" I told myself. I made a sizeable bet ($50) and prayed one of them would come over the top of me...or hell, I'd be happy with just a call. Chuck folds (shit), but Fred grabs two stacks of reds and shoves them in the middle. I snap call him and show him AA. To his credit, he laughs it off and says sincerely "Wow man, that's a great hand. Very good hand" as he pats me on the back and shows his T3os. Oh wow...I felt sorta bad for the guy, especially since he had been nothing but nice/funny/polite at the table while donating his $1100 to us, and here I am sucking out a two-outer and stacking the poor guy. I soon realized that in my attempt to not slow-roll the guy, I had left him with $30 behind (the least I could do for being a luckbox I guess). He shoved and was ko'd a couple hands later...and I made my exit soon after. With the biggest fish at the table gone and my NL skills definitely in question, there was no reason for me to sit at that table any longer :)

No comments: