Saturday, July 14, 2007

Losing Streak? Ramble Time...

I'm on unfamiliar territory now...okay not really. Any serious poker player knows that swings and streaks are part of this game. Am I worried right now? Sorta. Before my $540 outing last weekend, my recent results (mid-June through early July) hadn't been all that spectacular, and now I've run two losing sessions back to back on each other. Am I playing differently? Maybe...

I can recall a couple mistakes each of the last two sessions where I have basically paid off on the turn and river when I normally don't. The old Nik from two months ago would have folded the turn easily, but for some reason, I have become a "showdown monkey" as of late. A couple BBs/session can add up, and I'm posting this here as a reminder that maybe it's not just the cards' fault I'm losing.

I really truly believe that I am very honest with myself on how I am playing. At Capitol last night, there really was nothing I could do right in the first hour and 20 minutes. Miss with AK, get a big pair cracked, get a set cracked, miss a gutty/flush draw combo, etc. I was meant to lose that first $180. After that I mounted a small-ish comeback and actually remembered what it was like to toke the dealer. Still, toward the end of the 4/8 run, I made a couple mistakes that, had I avoided them, could have made this session a little less of a loser.

The 9/18 game was pretty much what I expected. A little tighter pre-flop play from my opponents (but that's not saying much), one or two ~good players, and an abundance of 4/8 players with $3 chips in front of them. I can honestly say I had zero butterflies and zero discomfort at the table. I had been losing so far in the session, but I wasn't scared of losing more. I was angry, hungry (mentally, not physically...assholes lol) and ready to throw some chips around. I feel like I played pretty well, and had either my AA or QQ hands held, the session as a whole would have been break even or a slight winner...both of those pots were huge.

Here's my 5th hand or so at the table and the first flop I see. Winning the first pot I entered gave me some confidence.

Hero is in the CO with AQos
Villain has shown signs of maniacal-ness...but it's still early.

Pre-flop: Folds to Hero, Hero raises, Villain 3-bets from the button, SB folds, BB calls, Hero caps, Both villains call

Flop: A:d:J:h:T:d:

BB checks, Hero bets, Villain raises instantly, BB folds, Hero calls

Turn: J:s:

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls

River: Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls

Villain showed A7 and Hero takes the pot.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I felt like an absolute nit when I raked the pot in. Then again, after the turn raise by the villain, I all but started crying because I thought he had AK of better. Probably should have 3-Bet the flop and then when Villain caps (because he is insane), I can check/call the rest of the way? I had no real reads, so I think a call-down isn't too bad...

Anyway, I need to take a nap...

No comments: