Thursday, June 21, 2007

Two Month Evaluation

Well it's been a little over a couple months now since I started playing consistently live again, and it has been one hell of a run. I'm a little scared to talk about it, but who am I kidding? I'm not overly superstitious nor is my ego big enough to get ahead of myself, so I'll just say it: I'm running way too good right now.

The bottom line is this: I am running at 4.5BB/Hr+ over the course of almost 90 hours and have now had 15 straight winning sessions. For the record, I know this is an upswing and I know this is a low sample size, so I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. I'm happy with the amount of hours I've been playing lately, as school is finally out and I can play a lot more hours now. I've been averaging about 11 hours a week over the last two months, but expect that number to rise dramatically.

In other news, I've been running really well :) Haha anyway, I think I do have to give myself some credit. There have been sessions where donks are rivering me and I'm frustrated to no end, but my steam control has been unbelievably strong throughout my entire run. Seriously, I have not let bad beats or even sick runs get me out of my hand ranges (based on table and image) I have designated for this game. It's a fairly wide range of playable hands, but I know a lot of people think I'm a rock, and that's okay. A lot of times I hear "play your rush" or something similar, and I just shrug them off. In the long run, playing 57os is a leak, so I don't do it, end of story. I treat every hand of every session as though I am playing one long lifetime session. If a call isn't profitable today, it won't be profitable tomorrow, so I try not to do it. "Playing my rush" is a donk's way of sayiing "I'm up $200 right now so I can gamble a little bit." Wrong, you're wrong. You save that money for when you run badly. People blame their losses on set over set or four-outers, when in all likelihood it's because of "I'm on a rush" or "It's only $4."

I think the biggest factor in my success thus far (aside from the hand selection and steam control) is my aggression. I'm playing select hands, but they're being played strongly. I can't stress aggression enough. AQ suited and there's a billion limpers? Raise! Of course you're not going to drive anyone out, it's 4/8 for christ sake! You know what you are going to do? Build a huge pot that is yours a large percentage of the time. A friend of mine asked me why he's not winning as much as he thinks he should be, even though he is playing a really good pre-flop game now. My response was "Maybe you're not getting enough out of the pot when you win." Think about that for a second. If you're missing raises and value-bets, it's the same as bleeding off chips pre-flop with 72os. Get the money in there when you can.

Enough lecturing for now. I worked graveyard last night and I'm fairly tired/retarded at the moment and probably didn't even make sense in my ramblings up there. Whatever, it's my blog, I'll do what I want.

Vegas in a few days. I'm metting up with my friend Todd from +1/UC Davis and I'll either have a free place to stay or we'll go halves on a cheap/shitty room I'll use for showering and sleeping. The trip will consist of poker/food/poker, and in that order. I'm starting at 6/12 and hopefully going up from there. Next Monday would be a terrible time to start running bad...I should be fine, but ya never know.

That's all for now, expect an update late tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon, I'm pretty sure I'm going to play cards tomorrow night (Friday) from around 4p to 10p and then going to work at midnight.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fender403 said...

Crush it in LV. Get the roll up to 5k. Cheers to the 4/8 Superstar.