Monday, June 25, 2007

Session No. 19 Mirage 6/12 (6/25)

6/12: TP = +$112 TSP = 5 Hrs BB/Hr: 1.87BB/Hr

So after meeting up with Todd (+1 member, friend from UC Davis) and getting all of our shit settled at the Flamingo (not a bad place to sleep and shower ftr), we decided to head out to play some 6/12 at the Mirage. Within the first few orbits I was feeling pretty comfortable and knew this was a game I could beat. Four orbits go by or so before this hand comes up between me and Todd. This would be the only hand of the trip where him and I actually clash.

Hero is in the SB with T9os, Todd is UTG with 88.

To start the action off, Todd open limped from UTG. After playing with Todd at Cache Creek for a long session and numerous discussions about limit hold 'em, I knew that the most likely holding for Todd at this point was a smaller pocket pair. He had been very aggressive (as he should be) so far at the table, so I remember thinking he had 66 or 77. It gets folded around to someone in LP who limped behind Todd. I looked down at T9os and completed. The BB checked...

The flop came out QJ8 rainbow. I flopped the absolute nuts on a rainbow board. It was rather unfortunate there was only four players in at the time, as five or six players to a flop was normal for this table, but oh well. I opted to check and see what would develop. The BB checked, Todd bet out, the guy in LP called, I called, and the BB folded. I wasn't sure if Todd had the set at this point or was simply playing aggressively, but I figured Todd would bet the turn again and I'd be able to CR the turn and hope to trap the player in LP for a BB.

The turn was a seven. I checked, Todd bet out again, the player in LP folded, and I check-raised. Todd immediately looked at me and said 3-Bet. I couldn't help but smirk as I pulled my chips back and stacked ten red chips in the middle of the felt. I said "48" without hesitation as Todd looked in utter amazement.

Todd: "This is really sick..."
Me: "I can see that..."
Todd: "I know what you have..."
Me: "I know what you have...don't pair the board please"

I remember almost betting the river dark, but that would have been completely stupid, especially since I knew I was screwed if the river paired. I knew Todd had ten clean outs to make a boat, and all I remember thinking was "please put up a deuce, please put up a deuce." I didn't get my deuce, but a trey was good enough and I bet out the river with the nuts. Todd had to call and I showed him my flopped straight and he showed his bottom set of eights. Both of us played the hand exactly how the other would have played it, and I was simply lucky to be on the winning side of this situation. I just found it funny that by the time Todd three-bet the turn I knew what his hand was and by the time I four-bet he knew what my hand was. What a sick hand.

No comments: