Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend Re-Cap (Saturday)

First off, I just wanted to say "I told you so" :)

I made a "Reflection Day" post that summed up my frustrations about not running as well as I thought I could have a few weeks ago. Well now I can't believe how much of an upswing I am on and am now kinda sorta waiting for the inevitable free fall that comes with playing a game with so much variance...I guess I'll just try and not think about that for now though.

Alright well onto the weekend. We (whenever I say "we," you should pretty much assume I mean "Tommy and I") planned on going Friday night, but I backed out because of early morning work obligations Saturday morning, so we headed on up to play when we got off work around Midnight Saturday night. I ran decent the first couple hours or so, but then a couple big hands really propelled my chip stack upwards:

Hand 1

Hero has A3 of clubs in the SB with four limpers, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: 6:c:4:c:2:d:

I led out with my flush draw and got a couple of callers

Turn: Q:c:

Hit my flush so I led and got called in a couple more spots

River: Q:h:

Not the prettiest river card, but I still led, Villain in BB raised, everyone else folds, I re-raise because I've seen this guy slowplay small flushes and I don't think he has a boat. He calls and says "if you have fullhouse it's good" and I show the nut-flush to best his 8-High flush


Hand 2:

My first time that night I killed a pot so I had to post $8 UTG. It gets folded to the Button who calls, SB folds, BB completes, and I raise with KK.

Flop: K:h:8:h:5:d:

Both players check and I bet; this is pretty standard for me and most new players should take this line more often than they do. Both players call and I start worrying about the heart draw and maybe even 67 for an OESD.

Turn: 4:c:

Yikes...67 got there, but they both check and I fire again. Both players call and now I am praying for a non-heart river.

River: 10:c:

Well I still think I'm good now, both players check, and I fire one last time and pray I don't get CR'd by 67. One villain folds and the BB looks at me and says "Oh well I guess I have to pay you off" and then hurriedly mucks his cards when I show a set of Kings. My floorman friend Ed was watching the hand and he later told me he couldn't figure out what I had on that hand, and he really didn't think I had KK. Ahhhh the power of consistent pounding...

The rest of the session was characterized by running the table over with AK and AQ, mostly by hitting and holding, but I made the occasional C-Bet work too. I ran a couple bluffs, but for the most part I played pretty straightforward and aggressive as normal and things worked out.

No comments: