Tuesday, July 1, 2008

15/30 at Cap...Round Two (7/1)

After a couple nights off, I decided to go back to Cap and expected to jump into a 9/18 game. Like I wrote about in my last entry, I tried their new 15/30 game, but really expected that game to just be a weekend game. The place was way busy, especially for a Tuesday it seemed...anyway, I walk up to the podium and Sam immediately said "hey nick, you're first up for 15/30"...alright then haha. I talked to Sam for a bit about the Laker fan that killed us last session...guess he was getting stacked left and right at the NL game...oh well, "convince him to sit 15/30" I joked...

I was first on the list, so it only took me 10 minutes to get on the table. I recognized one guy I played with from the last session...he was the NL-donk (indian guy from seat eight...he left soon after for the NL table). I knew a few of the other players from previous sessions, one guy reminded me a bit of Wilson from last session (solid 9/18 player, asian guy, mid 30s), an older asian guy who played alright, and a dealer named Jason from Cache ended up sitting to my direct right in seat six an orbit after I sat down (taggy player as well). Needless to say, the table wasn't as crazy as Saturday, but the rest of the players were bad enough to keep the game good.

My session couldn't have started out any better. Very first hand I raise with AKos and get called by the solid Asian (I'll just name him Russ) and a looser player wearing a hat. The flop comes Ace-high, and I bet every street and get called down every street by the guy in the hat. One hand...up a stack. Nice. A few hands later I get 99, open-raise, take down the pot with a c-bet...wow...too good to be true? Of course. Orbit later I pick up a couple Aces and get a few callers, end up getting run down by a straight on the river. Luckily the guy donked the river once the board looked ugly enough, so it cost me $30 on the river to win $35...lame...

One thing I noticed about the 15/30 game is that your stack is constantly swinging...even if you don't play any hands. The blinds are 15/10 (vs. 9/3 in the 9/18 game), so that's five chips every orbit vs. just four in 9/18 and just three in a 10/20 game (10/5 blinds)...it's good for the game/action I guess, but it drove me nuts for a while as I constantly had to ask myself the question (where the f are my chips going? :-P) It really encourages you to not defend the BB with junk (not that you should be doing it anyway), because if you are, your chips will straight disappear before you know it. I found myself being a tad more aggro if it folded to me in LP as well, so I picked on the blinds with some connectors and such before people started catching on. A 3/2 blind structure makes stealing the blinds in position a lot more worthwhile/fun. Very few players know how to play well out of the blinds imo, so make them pay.

Anyway, I had an absolute dismal middle part of my session where I couldn't seem to do anything right. I went from up close to $240 at one point to down $350ish. AQs, JTs, JJ, 99...nothing could hold or hit. I took an orbit off, grabbed some water, ordered food, and came back to the table feeling okay about it all after missing a couple orbits of play. God-mode soon followed...

I'll post part II when I wake up tomorrow, see ya then.

6 comments:

Nik Santi said...

Likely no...the 15/30 was running on a Tuesday night, Thursday should be even busier...

Fender403 said...

Dam, I suck at life. Oh well, maybe it will die off. Unlikely though.

Nik Santi said...

Hopefully it doesn't :-)

Nik Santi said...

No...unless you have a $10k+ Bankroll and losing a grand in two hours tomorrow wouldn't put you on extreme life tilt. No offense obv, but you have to have zero regard for the money that has now become chips at the table. People will take shots at you on turns/rivers because you're young and make you make some extremely tough decisions...I think you need to log some 10/20 sessions before you jump into a game as big and fast as 15/30.

Fender403 said...

I agree, its definitely an experience issue. I would like to build my roll at the upper low stakes games ie 9/18. With that now seemingly gone, what do you suggest?

I know the 4/8 game is profitable, and I know that I have the ability to beat a 10/20 game.

Where you referring to the 10/20 at Phoenix???

Might be interested.

Nik Santi said...

Yes...although I was talking to Jason (Cache Creek dealer) and he said he went to Phoenix and that game was scrapped really early already (6pm?)

I dunno man, it seems like we're a year late...I'd like to be playing 9/18 right now vs 15/30 to be honest. Wait it out, I'm not entirely sure the 15/30 will last.