Monday, December 20, 2010

A Couple Messy Sessions (Part I: Thursday)

I've been busy busy busy the last few days or so, and it doesn't seem to show any signs of slowing down until this Thursday. Last Thursday I headed over to Capitol for a session after work. Things were rocky at 4/8 yet again for me, as I had a great table with a lot of psychos, but I simply couldn't win a hand.

Things would change up a bit though as my fourth hand at 6/12 I picked up aces in the big blind against UTG's Queens. We capped pre-flop with six players seeing the flop (aye caramba!) The flop came out ten high, something like T73 rainbow. I kinda figured UTG had a hand, though he did seem like an action player. I bet into him and he raised, folded all the way around to an attractive asian girl (NC, I've mentioned her before in the blog) who called two bets cold, I 3-bet, UTG finally just called and NC called.

The turn was a four, somewhat scary if NC has something like 65, but I didn't think she'd call two bets cold with a gutshot on the flop so I wasn't too worried. She checked, I bet, both called. The river was a nine, making the board T7349. Again, not all that pretty, but I figured UTG had something like a pair Kings or Queens and I really didn't want to see a face card on the river. NC checked, I bet, UTG said something to the extent of "oh you have a big pair, let's see how big" and raised me. Wtf? NC folded and it came back around to me.

I paused a little bit and looked at the board. I'm not throwing my hand away in this spot probably ever, but why the river raise on that card? "You can't have jack eight right? That doesn't make sense" I said to him. "Pocket kings huh? You have pocket kings?" UTG asked me as I was debating. Is this guy not afraid of kings? Does he have the other two aces? A set of nines? "Man, I was kind of hoping that's what you had" I blurted out, in response to his question about whether or not I had kings.

"Oh yeah?" he asked in an almost hushed tone. I made the call, pretty much expecting to see a set of nines or tens when he flipped over pocket queens. Phew, I tabled my aces and he told me "nice hand, I was hoping you had jacks." Poor kid, sucks to get queens or kings when somebody else has aces, but you don't have to scare the shit out of me with that river raise. I appreciated the extra $12 I guess haha.

After that hand I won a few more nice pots and found myself close to +$300 for the session...unfortunately I cooled off considerably and didn't win another hand for over two hours. I watched my chipstack dwindle from about three racks down to under one; I even had to reload another rack. I came back a little bit after that, but wow what a terrible second half of a session. I spent the majority of my time folding trash hands then the rest taking beats. I'm pretty stoic when I take beats, if anything I think I look dazed or in a trance, not once did I react poorly but NC even commented on how unlucky I was getting and seemed to legitimately feel sorry for me. Too bad she's taken, I would have loved a sympathy hug.

To be honest, at the end of the day I felt like I should have been down three racks based on how poorly I ran, so that cheered me up some. It really sucks swinging that far down though after crushing the table initially. I'll be back to blog about my Saturday session spent with my pal Tony/fender403 where we played 6/12 along with WI, Suzanne, and Davin Anderson. I've mentioned him before in some old 9/18 and 15/30 entries, so we'll talk about a couple fun hands against him. No promises on how soon, I have to work both jobs the next couple of days/nights so it's going to be hectic.

2 comments:

Fender403 said...

That's Aces hand is so weird. Its almost like I want to 3! after he says that but that is total spew.

Nik Santi said...

in retrospect yeah a three woulda been nice, but he jumped out of his seat to raise the river and I was just like wtffffffff