Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Case of the Mondays (Part II: 6/12 Rollercoaster)



I was trying to think of another pic or video related to Mondays, and I remembered my favorite Orgy song, a cover of New Order's "Blue Monday."

Anyway, like I mentioned last time, 6/12 was a roller coaster ride of awesome, and some not-so-awesome. My table had a couple familiar faces, one being an older woman I'll call PM in seat two, a younger guy in seat five who wore sunglasses (I'll call him "Shades") and then a middle aged man wearing eyeglasses in seat eight who was sometimes vocally hostile to dealers and other players. Apparently he was stuck pretty bad, and in the end I'd estimate I saw him dump at least four racks into the game. The rest of the players were pretty LPPish, with one or two LAGs thrown in. Good table, with just one catch...you gotta hold!

So the first big pot I was in I raised AQos UTG and saw a six way flop of Q63 with two diamonds. I had lost a couple smaller pots early on and didn't show my cards, so perhaps people thought my raises didn't mean much. The SB in seat nine donk bet into me, PM called, I raised, called in two spots behind me, SB called and PM called. The turn was a ten of spades, a bit scary because QT is a fairly common pre-flop call, but I bet and wasn't raised by anyone, only called in three spots. Haha, only three spots. When the river was being dealt, all I could think about was...



The river was a non-diamond three, pairing the board. Q63T3, no flushes, no straights. Checked to me and I value bet my AQ and was looked up by only Mr. Hostility in seat eight, who showed KQ. Poor guy, one notch too low. That was a sick pot, and got me close to even for the day.

About an orbit later I was dealt AQ again, this time though I was in Middle position. Folded to me and I opened for $12, Shades called me from the cutoff, a younger white kid in seat seven called me from the SB, the BB defended and we saw a flop of QJ4 with two hearts. I bet, called by shades and seat seven, the BB folded.

The turn was a two of hearts, putting three hearts on the board. Checked to me, I bet, Shades raised, seat seven tanked a little/checked his cards again and then called, and then the action was back to me. I was pretty sure I could beat seat seven's hand, but what about Shades? He had been getting a touch out of line, and something told me he didn't have a flush. I thought he might have been getting out of line with a hand like Jx with a heart draw, so I decided to make the call. If he had something like a weak two pair I still had some outs, and like I mentioned I still thought I was ahead.

The river was a non-heart three. SB checked, I checked, and then Shades checked behind. Hmmm, was I good? Seat seven shook his head and showed a missed K-high flush draw. I can beat that...I showed my AQ. Then Shades showed 42os for a turned two pair, and took down the pot. I couldn't help but smirk a little bit, but I kept my cool and didn't say anything negative. If the dude wants to call my pre-flop raises with four high, he is more than welcome.

After that hand I spiraled down a little bit, losing with pocket tens a few different times, Kings lost again, but then came back a little with Queens, flopping a set in a four way pot and then turning the boat. Then I picked up aces against the laggy seat six's queens which brought me back even more. The last hand I'll talk about brought me back closer to even for the day and was the last big pot I was in before my table broke.

It was a killpot and limped in a couple spots, and I looked down at a red KQos. I raised over the limpers, which included a LPPish asian guy in seat one and PM in seat two. Six people saw the flop of Q73 rainbow. Remember, this was a killpot so and I raised so 6 people times 12 chips times $2/chip = roughly $144 in the pot preflop. I flopped TPGK, now it's time to hold.

The action was pretty tame, as it was checked to me, I bet and got a few callers. The turn paired the seven and I'll admit I was tad bit scared of someone floating the flop with midpair. I mean, with $144 in the pot on the flop, I'm probably peeling for one more bet. The pot's about $192 after the flop, and on the turn I bet and only got called by seat 1 and by PM, so now it's about $264. The river was a deuce, checked to me, again I value bet my TPGK with a pair on the board, and this time only PM called while saying "good hand." Those are some of the sweetest words you can hear, because you know it's a crying call on the end. A decent one if I just barreled with AK in this spot, but unfortunately for her I had the queen and she only had "a pocket pair." Sick sick pot, and it made it so I was about a $60 winner at 6/12, so only a $40 loser for the day.

The table ended up breaking shortly after so I sat and watched the ending to the Texans/Ravens game (poor Texans' fans, Schaub threw a pick six to end the game), then made my way home.

1 comment:

Fender403 said...

42os is the nuts obv.

gotta live live poker