Thursday, December 9, 2010

Blatant Lies

I rolled into Capitol at around 3pm Tuesday and noticed 6/12 only had an interest list. Interesting, must be a slow day. I threw my name along up there with a handful of others, then wandered over to an open 4/8 seat. First hand I was dealt in I opened pocket nines from EP, maybe UTG+2. Folded around to the button who called, small blind called and the big blind defended. The flop came out Queen high with two spades. Both of the blinds checked, I bet, the button folded, small blind check-raised, big blind folded and I called.

This was my first hand at the table, first hand of the day, so reads are nonexistent. 30 year oldish white dude wearing a UCLA cap and had about $240 worth of orange chips in front of him. It was a Q42 flop, two spades, what's he checkraising here? AQ/KQ are possibilities, baby sets, flush draws. The turn card was a queen of hearts.

Hmmmm...interesting. I decided that the queen was either an awesomely good or awesomely bad card for me and it was time to find out which. The small blind led out for eight chips and I took my stack of 16 and cut them neatly into four stacks of four. Now, I'm staring right at the guy from the nine seat, he's sitting in the six seat. All of a sudden I see him sit straight up, look at the dealer and say "I only called."

The dealer had been chatting a little to a player in seat two and this kind of took him by surprise. "You bet" the dealer said. This time seat six said "I checked." At this point I absolutely know he has a flush draw, and I'm proud of myself for charging him the max for trying to draw out on me. But I'm also getting annoyed at his attempt at an angle to see a river card for one bet. "You led out, I raised" I finally said.

Then the guy had the nerve to say "He didn't bring all his chips out at once," implying that I had performed a string bet. Now I'm pissed. The dealer just looked at me confused and said "you didn't do that, right?" I looked at the dealer, back at the player and said "no, in fact, I know I didn't do that." Seat seven came to my aid and said "the young man put all his chips out at once, there was nothing wrong with his raise." Defeated, seat six reached for eight more chips and made the call.

The river was a ten of spades. Seat six checked and I checked behind and said "go ahead, you're good now" and he threw down his hand triumphantly while leaning back into his chair. A9 of spades, whaddya know, the nutflush draw that got there. He looked so smug, I couldn't help but needle. "Hey I didn't mean to raise the turn, can I have eight chips back? No? Okay." My neighbors seat seven and eight just smirked a little and shook their heads while seat six kept his head down and stacked the chips.

It's amazing to me what some people do in the face of adversity. I've seen angles here and there, some sleazier than others, but I've never seen someone stoop so slow to save eight bucks.

No comments: