Saturday, September 6, 2008

Some Friday Night 9/18 Action (9/5)

Uh oh, second night I've played in a row where the 15/30 game couldn't get off the ground. It's a bit disappointing since my edge in that game is probably just as good as it is in the 9/18 game (and obv the stakes are higher), but at the same time I'm okay with it because the swings in that game could get nasty. Being stuck two racks at 9/18 is $600 compared to $1k at 15/30, so in a way it makes taking a loss a tad less stressful.

Anyway, for some reason I feel completely awful right now (monster headache), so let's see how long I can type before I go crawl into bed like a little girl. For the most part, I ran kinda bleh tonight. I had a couple hands hold facing a lot of action, but my big pairs were doing everything they could to get themselves cracked...aside from this hand:

It's maybe my second orbit in the session and I see UTG raise. I recognized UTG as a very loose/passive type, so an UTG raise was kinda scary. I looked down at a couple red queens though and obv three-bet. The BB came along for two more bets and UTG just called (probably an AK-like hand, maybe JJ).

I remember seeing a queen of spades in the window...the flop was Q96 rainbow, doesn't get much better than that. Checked to me, I bet, two calls. The turn was a second spade, a three I believe...so I remember I had to sweat the river a little bit...thankfully it blanked out and I got looked up by the BB with just second pair. Good start to the night...unfortunately it would only get worse from there.

About an hour or so into my session a very maniacal (poker-wise) heavyset black dude took a seat next to me in seat five (I was in seat four). After he sat down I had a couple orbits to watch him play as I was just terribly card dead, and he was doing some crazy stuff. CR-ing with bottom pair on the river, jamming up flops with absolutely nothing, etc. Obviously he'd get a hand against me though...

I'm UTG and look down at a couple red aces so I raise. Maniac calls, folds around to the BB who also comes along. The flop was pretty ugly: JT7 with a couple diamonds. BB checked, I bet, maniac raises, BB folded, I 3-bet, Maniac just calls.

His call really gave me a lot of confidence he had absolutely nothing. If he had a pair of tens he'd probably jam the flop up, but just calling my bet I was almost positive he had nothing but hopes and dreams. The turn was a four of diamonds, kinda ugly, but I had the ace of diamonds and figured the maniac would cap his flush draw on the flop. I bet out, maniac tanks and checks his cards again, and calls...

Hmmm...you on a lone diamond draw there? "Give him a diamond, ya know, since I do have the ace...", I thought to myself. The river was a red three...the three of hearts. I figured my hand was still safe and bet out...as soon as I bet the maniac raised. Bah...did he run me down and make two pair? I snap-called obv since the maniac could have 6-high here as far as I'm concerned and he turns over the three of diamonds and the three of clubs for a rivered set...yay two outers. To make matters worse I didn't even get $35 from the aces cracked w/e because the jackpot isn't $100k yet...I didn't really care about $35 anyway though. One of the shittiest feelings in poker is having the table moron catch on you and then donate all your chips back to the rest of the players at the table, and that's basically what he did the rest of the night.

Eventually I moved to the main game (they had two 9/18 games running, I started off at the must-move game). One of my first hands there propelled me back to even as I made AJ hold against A6 of spades on an A84 flop with two spades. The button in the hand turned out to have Q7 of spades, so I faded two flush draws and won a pretty nice pot. We capped the flop three-handed and then one bet a piece on the turn...I can't remember the board, but there was a four to a straight on the board after the river hit so the river checked through.

Unfortunately that was about it as far as big pots were concerned...I won some smaller ones, but lost a couple big ones when I flopped TP against five opps with AT, check-raised a T-high flop, made aces-up on the turn, but then got popped by a runner-runner diamond flush that got there on the river. To his credit, he did flop bottom pair on the flop with a five-kicker...:puke:

I ended up dropping something like $50 before taking off for the night. No big deal, hopefully I can squeeze a session in tomorrow night before work, but I'll likely be trying to sleep as much as possible so I can watch football all day Sunday. Thanks for reading.

No comments: