Friday, September 21, 2007

Session No. 48 Cache Thurs Night (9/20)

4/8 Kill: TP = +$145 (3BBs/Hr) TSP = 6 Hrs

So the 4/8 Superdonk (in case no one has noticed, this is my friend that I regularly go with that needs his name to be hidden haha) and I rolled into Cache around 6:30pm and joined a 4/8 table that was down to six players. My initial reaction to the table was that it was filled with a bunch of calling stations and maybe one ~solid lag.

I started out really hot, winning maybe four or five pots in the first couple of orbits, and I quickly found myself up $160 or so. The hands were pretty standard, so I won't go into them, but they included K9 of spades making a flush out of the SB, QT of clubs flopping TP with the flush draw, AK flopping a K, and TT on an all unders board. I basically won the same amount of hands in 30 minutes as I had won the previous session. As you can tell from reading my results at the top of the page, I basically had a break-even session the rest of the day though, which is a bit disappointing, but not without some fireworks and odd plays from me.

The first weird hand is Q9 of hearts in the Hijack. It gets limped in a few spots in front of me, and this had been a pretty passive table, so I decided to limp behind and try to flop a good draw. In all honesty, this is pretty close to the bottom of my limping range. The Superdonk calls behind me, the button folded, and then the small-blind in seat 6 raised.

The SB was a bit of a wannabee hotshot. He was a younger Asian kid (22-25) wearing sunglasses (hahahaha) with his white nike hat tilted to the left a little bit. He was trying to criticize player's for their play as of late, but he wasn't exactly playing great. He was open-limping a ton from EP and fired out with mid-pair waaaaay too much against multiple opponents.

Anyway, he raises, and all of the limpers call. He hadn't raised much all day, just a lot of limping, so I'm thinking AK+, JJ+...he's probably not raising much else from the SB. As the dealer is putting out the flop, the Jack of clubs is the window card. I figure I need a ten or a couple of running hearts to even continue in the hand...

Flop: J:c:T:h:3:h:

How about both? SB leads out, two folds, one call, Hero raises, 1 fold, SB 3-Bets, one call, Hero caps, 2 calls

Turn: 8:s:

Boom. One of my 15 outs is there. SB checks (lame), one check, Hero bets, two calls

I was a bit disappointed the kid didn't lead out here. I'm pretty sure he had QQ+, but then again, if I whiffed the turn, I could have taken a free card.

River: 7:c:

Meh...might kill my action. 2 checks, Hero bets, 2 calls. I show them the nuts and take down a nice pot. The SB looked pretty pissed, but he told me "nice hand" and said I had a huge flop. I thanked him and stacked the chips without saying much.


The next hand I want to talk about is one that I'll probably post in the forums. Lately, when talking about these loose-passive lower-staked games, posters whose games I respect advocated raising suited-aces when you were in position with a lot of limpers in front of you. I had always done this with ATs+, but usually not much lower.

Anyway, I have A4 of hearts and there's three limpers in front of me, I raise, thinking I'll control this hand like I normally do, and play the flop pretty straight forward. I had shown down a lot of good hands, and basically when I raised, people were letting me control the action. It was very rare for someone to try and take the lead away from me.

Unfortunately, the 4/8 Superdonk 3-Bets me and drives away the blinds and all but one of the limpers. Crap...bad timing. The limper called the 3-Bet and I also just called.

Flop: 6:h:5:c:3:s:

Nice flop. I'm open-ended and have a backdoor heart draw. I went from check/folding this flop to maybe being able to take control of the hand again. I had a couple different plans in mind for this flop, but the limper led out. Odd...now I have a new strategy. I figure if the Superdonk (SD) has AK, I can raise him off of it here and pick up a couple ace-outs...so I raise. The SD 3-Bets, the limper calls and I just call. I know SD has an over-pair now, probably TT+, but more than likely it's QQ+.

Turn: 2:c:

I'm such a luckbox :) The limper checks, I check (fully intending to CR), and then the SD checks. Dammit. I guess I could have donk bet here, but I was hoping the SD would bet/fold here. The board is ugly, and I guess the original limper could have 44 or something like that, but I'm pretty sure he had me on a hand like 88 or 99 here. He must have been afraid of the limper.

River: J:s:

This time the limper leads out. Now I was pretty sure the limper didn't have a straight, as she was the type to just donk bet when she had a hand, and so I figure she has two-pair or a horribly played set. I could have just called and hoped for an overcall from the SD, but I opted to raise. The SD debated for awhile, and actually called my raise. He told me later on that my play had him really confused and he just couldn't lay the hand down. The limper also called. I show my 4 for a straight and take down a nice pot. The limper had 65 for a flopped two-pair and the SD had KK. I got some crap from seat 1 (some donk on a good run) for raising with A4-suited, but I try to not care what a 4/8 donk thinks of my play ;)

____


Okay back again...I wanted to talk about a hand that I thought my buddy played pretty well and got him a pot that he wouldn't have won had he played it passively.

It gets limped in one spot in EP, Hero raises with KQ of spades in LP, SB (the superstar I talked about earlier) called and BB also called.

Flop: A:s:Kc:9:s:

This is a huge flop for the hero. Mid-pair good kicker/Nut-flush draw, but knowing most 4/8 tables, a weak-ace is probably out there. It gets checked to a MP limper who donk bets. Hero raised, SB called, BB folded, and then the MP limper 3-bet. Hero capped and the SB went into the tank. At first I thought he had the spade draw, but now I knew he had a weak-ace (maybe a strong ace (AJ, AT maybe?) and decided to lay it down.

It gets checked down from there after blanks hit both the turn and river and the hero wins the pot after the MP limper showed K7os. Wow...just wow. The Superstar in the small-blind was heated and even got into an argument with the guy over how he played the hand. Good stuff.

No comments: