Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Slow Day at 6/12, a Monster at 4/8 (Part2)

After booking a small win at 6/12, I decided to go check out the 4/8 tables. I grabbed eight orange $1 chips from my 6/12 stack (the rest were red $2 chips) and saved a spot for myself at the 4/8 table with the biggest stacks on them. I'd say the smallest stack had about $150 in it, not bad at all. Most everyone was hovering around #200-300, not bad at all for 1am on a Monday.

I rack up and see a huge line at the cage, so I decide to just change in my entire 6/12 stack and bring it to the 4/8 game with me. Two racks of orange, a stack of yellow $5 dollar chips and some change accompanied me to my 4/8 seat where I was greeted warmly by a guy named Edgar wearing an all red Cordova warm-up BBall suit (fucking pimp, dude looked COMFORTABLE).

Yooo whats up man, buy-ins only $40! At first I saw this $8 and was like whatever, but man, you brought a chip army back!


I couldn't help but laugh, explain the situation with the cage, then explain that I feel naked without a shitload of chips in front of me (which by the way is 100% true).

My second or third hand at the table I was dealt T8 of diamonds from MP. I limped behind a couple limpers, people limped behind me, and we saw a flop of Qd9d7d seven handed or so. Aye Caramba. Not only did I flop a T-high flush I also had an open-ended straight flush draw. The Small-blind (SB) bet out, two callers in between, I raise, Cutoff (CO) and Button both call, SB calls, the two callers in between us called.

The turn was a ten of spades making the board even more coordinated and ugly. SB bet out again, called again in two spots, I raised yet again, CO and Button both call (again), SB folds (I'm thinking he had top pair and finally gave up), two callers in between call again.

River is an eight of spades, so now I have the T-high flush AND two pair. Oh and the board is even more ugly. Checked to me, I bet, and it folds around to one of the early position players who calls. I show him the flopped flush and am good for a huge pot. Wow, after a quiet day at 6/12, I scoop in a pot worth maybe $120+ in profit in one of my first hands at the table.

Don't be too happy for me (or jealous) though just yet, as next orbit in the cutoff this time I look down at a couple Kings. I raise a few limpers, get called by the button, both the blinds, and of course the limpers call. Seven way action to the flop of KxQc3c. Weeeeeeeee flopped the nuts seven ways, let's find a way to fuck this up.

Checked to me and I bet, Button raises, SB calls, folds to me, I 3-bet, Button caps, me and SB call.

The turn is a good card, the seven of diamonds. SB checks, I bet, Button pauses for a second, puts his chips out. A stack of four, then cuts to eight...I can tell he's thinking it over. The entire time in my head I'm yelling "RAISE DAMMIT!" If he has a hand he can keep raising on this turn I have to have him absolutely crushed. He either has a low two pair or a set, either way he's drawing super thin. The guy in the SB calling along is who I'm really worried about. He probably has a flush draw, maybe a combo flush/straight draw. If that's the case he's drawing very live.

Back to the Button. Four, Eight, Cuts four more chips to 12 and then to 16. Yes! SB calls again. Ugh, I need to dip duck and dodge this river for sure, but right now it's time to charge max Value. I snap three bet to $24 and button sighs and only calls. SB hurriedly calls eight more chips and we all wait for the river...

The river card is the nine of spades. I didn't even watch the river card come out, I was looking at the SB the entire time, looking for a noticeable jump or sigh or anything. As SB checked I didn't notice anything peculiar, so I looked at the board for myself and saw the nine of spades. "Ahhh the club missed" I remembered thinking to myself as I bet out. I then started looking at what combos of cards actually did get there. "9-7-3...that can't make a straight; K-Q-9, a gutterball got there...wait no, JT got there. JT was open-ended and had eight outs all the way. Uh oh."

The button called my bet, then I saw the SB reach and grab a decent looking stack of chips, definitely enough to raise.

NO.

He cuts a stack of four. Then eight.

DON'T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Then 12.

NO!

I think this is actually the part of the hand where I cursed loudly. I believe a loud "fuck" soon followed by mumbling of something like "that was not a good card, and to think you were happy with that card because it wasn't a club, what were you thinking, etc etc etc." I have a tendency to talk to myself at a poker table, mostly as a way to bring humor and entertainment to a situation. I want people to like playing with me. I call and button call and the SB shows JsTc for the flopped open ended straight draw that just had to get there.

I tapped the table, said "nice hand" and pretty much meant it. I've taken much worse beats in bigger pots than that, all you can do is blame the shuffle gnomes inside that damn automatic shuffler and move on.

I didn't plan on making a part three for this session but I have at least a couple more big pots to talk about and this post is super long sooooo alright, look for part three sometime tomorrow. Thanks again for reading!