Monday, April 16, 2007

Session No.1 Saturday Night (4/14-15) Part I

4/8: Total Profit = -$90 Time spent playing = 1:30am-6am


Well like I mentioned before, this was my first live session in quite awhile. This was my first time in Cache Creek's new room, and it looked really nice. I believe it now has 28 tables (compared to only 12 before) and the room is nicely spaced out. The waiting list was non-existent for me (maybe it's because it was 1:30am...me and Tommy went after work) and we were seated right away.

I join a 4/8 Kill table, buy-in for $200, and immediately recognize one player from my last live session a few months ago. He's the villain from a couple HHs I posted at Cardplayer entitled "Plethora of Beats." I flopped a set of threes vs. his TP-6 kicker and he went on to make a running boat.

http://forums.cardplayer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45880


Anyway, the session started out extremely slow. I take my place in the number two seat and watched the table attentively. I decided there was one solid player (directly to my right) in seat one, a couple LAGs (one to my direct left) in seats three and five and the rest were loose/calling station types. This was a typical 4/8 K table at Cache, where a bunch of players limp into the pot, and then they'll call down with very marginal holdings. Anyway, I finally get a decent hand in my third orbit or so. Here's the HH I posted on Cardplayer:

http://forums.cardplayer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47404

I'll take advice for whether or not i should post the HHs here or just give you a link to Cardplayer, but I think the HHs look better over there. Anyway, after the hand I was somewhat torn on how I played it. I liked it because it was an aggressive line and it usually will get me a free river card. I was also hoping for a bit of an over-aggressive overall image from this hand, so that perhaps I could get action with my bigger hands later on. Fundamentally, I don't like this line all that much. I'm open-ended, but I don't have any overcards, and a six is the only card that gives me the nuts. A Jack would simply give me the 2nd nuts, and anyone with AQ (not completely unlikely for a 4/8 table to chase their gutshot) would have the nut-hand.

The next hand I was involved in was JJ UTG in a Kill-Pot. JJ is tough enough to play UTG as it is, but throw in the Kill pot and being UTG, and that can be downright terrifying. Here's the HH:

http://forums.cardplayer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47411

The villain in this hand was a young kid and short on chips, so I thought he could be raising there with a a couple of different draws or even a lower PP than me (TT-77), perhaps putting me on a whiffed AK while also trying to scare off any people with weak draws. As it played out, I think I have to bet that flop/put him all-in. I don't really like his play at all there pre-flop with KQs after I raised from UTG, but after the flop came out he had to play it the way he did, and overall it worked out for him.

Anyway, I have a paper due tomorrow that I should probably finish up, so I will post the 2nd half of this session tomorrow.

No comments: